The Role of Lord Sri Krishna in the Mahabharatam -9 : Swami Krishnananda.

========================================================================

Friday,  09 Jun,  2023.  07:30.

The Role of Lord Sri Krishna in the Mahabharatam -9 :

(Spoken on Sri Krishna Janmasthami in 1972)

=========================================================================

Then preparations were made for war, and Sri Krishna took up the work of the charioteer. He did not say he would be commander-in-chief. That is the interesting part of it. He wanted to be the chariot driver, not the generalissimo or the field marshal in the army. This arrangement had been made in Dwarka when Sri Krishna was met and importuned by Duryodhana and Arjuna who went for help.

Duryodhana said, “I have come first to ask for help. Arjuna came later on. You should offer me the choice.”

Sri Krishna said, “Well, I saw him first because he was sitting at my feet. Arjuna, what do you want?”

Arjuna replied, “I want help in the impending war, which is inevitable.”

Duryodhana said, “I have also come for the same purpose. I want help from you. You are an impartial man, so you give me help, and you give him help.”

Both were asking. Sri Krishna said, “What help can I give you? I have only two things. I am here myself, and I have a vast army. You can choose either of these. You can choose the vast army which is almost invincible—Narayani Sena, it is called. I am a puny man. I cannot do anything. I can sit and chat with you, perhaps. Which do you choose, Arjuna?”

Arjuna said, “You come. I am not in need of the army.”

Duryodhana thought, “I have taken the butter. He has taken the buttermilk. I am going. Wonderful! Foolhardy and stupid is Arjuna.” He said to Sri Krishna, “Thank you for the army.” He thought he had already half won the victory. “What is the use of one man who will do nothing? The whole army is mine.” He went and told his brothers, “Victory is ours.”

Then Krishna said toArjuna, “You are a foolish man. Why did you choose me? What made you choose me, who will do nothing?”

Arjuna said, “Even if you do not do anything, your presence will do more than others can do with their hands and feet. I know your greatness.”

“All right, as you wish,” Krishna said. “What work can I do?”

Arjuna replied, “You can guide me in the war.”

Krishna said, “I will be your charioteer.”

*****

To be continued

========================================================================

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stabilising the Mind in God: The Twelfth Chapter of the Bhagavadgita-2. Swami Krishnananda

The Teachings of the Bhagavadgita - 8.1. Swami Krishnananda.

Gita : Ch-7. Slo-26.