The Role of Lord Sri Krishna in the Mahabharatam -5. : Swami Krishnananda.

=========================================================================

Saturday,  20 May,  2023. 05:00.

The Role of Lord Sri Krishna in the Mahabharatam -5 :

(Spoken on Sri Krishna Janmasthami in 1972)

====================================================================

That portion of the Udyoga Parva is very interesting as a piece of literature, as a piece of poetry, an artistic presentation of ideas, a glorification of divinity, and many other interesting things. Sanjaya's message is conveyed, which is very unpleasant and most unjust, which made out in the end that the Pandavas are not to be given anything. And then another messenger was to be sent from the side of Yudhisthira to the Kauravas to finally settle the matter: “Is war essential, or can we get on without it?”

Who would go? At present, nobody was left other than Sri Krishna. Yudhisthira said, “Sri Krishna, I am ashamed to send you as my messenger. I weep. It is better I die than send you as a messenger. But I have agreed to this proposal for one reason—not because I am unable to recognise your greatness, but because nobody can deal with this problem better than you can. This is why, Krishna, I have agreed to this proposal of your going.

“But I am afraid, also, from the bottom of my heart, that I am sending you to a jungle of beasts where your life itself can be in danger. Krishna, don't go! Sit down,” he said. “It is not necessary. I don't want anything now.” Immediately he changed his mind. “I understand the whole situation. It is dangerous to go there. They may attack you and harm you. I have cancelled the whole program. You sit!” he said. In a few minutes he wound up the whole thing. “I shall live on biksha. I do not want to endanger your life.”

Then Sri Krishna said, “If that is your fear and there is no other reason behind your cancelling this proposal—if you are thinking that my life will be in danger—well, I think you need not worry about it. I can take care of myself. I am one; they are many. That is your fear. But I am one like a lion, and they are many like jackals, so you need not be afraid. If your permission is there, I am going.”

In a glorious, most magnificent manner, with all music and celebration, a send-off was given to Sri Krishna. He went to the court of the Kauravas, but refused the hospitality of Duryodhana. He did not eat there because he said, “One eats food only on two grounds. When does a person take food? For two reasons he can take food. If he is hungry, he will take food, but he will also take food if it is offered with great affection. Even if I am not hungry, I may eat if it is offered with tremendous love. But I am not hungry now, and you are not offering it with love, so how can I take it? So for these two reasons, I am sorry, I cannot take anything from your hand. I will see you officially tomorrow morning for the business I have come for.”

*****

To be continued

========================================================================

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stabilising the Mind in God: The Twelfth Chapter of the Bhagavadgita-2. Swami Krishnananda

The Teachings of the Bhagavadgita - 8.1. Swami Krishnananda.

Gita : Ch-7. Slo-26.